Pages

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Do you mind if I change the subject?


When I first started my blog, I put up a post about a new lipstick color that I was really excited about! (Check out my review of Maybelline's Pink Pop). When I shared my blog link, my line sister (Amanda) said to me, “I Love your blog. It’s so girly. I love the post about the lipstick. Life gets so serious. Sometimes we should just talk about lipstick.” When she said it, I sorta laughed and kept going. But then later, I thought more about what she said....
As a women's college graduate, I have many fond memories of giggling into the wee hours or the morning, trying on all of each other’s shoes and clothes, and testing out new hairstyles for absolutely no reason at all. I can remember the days where conversations with my girlfriends consisted of tips for the best eye shadow brushes and who was having a sale on cardigans that week. But, we’ve grown up….and the conversations have changed. Our conversations have shifted to relationship troubles, aging parents, career challenges, health concerns, financial hardships,  fertility issues, etc, etc, etc.

There is so much pressure from society for women to be serious all the time.  How many times have you encountered a woman with a seemingly pleasant disposition and found her to be labeled by others as ditzy, flaky, and sometimes just plain dumb? Why is that? What’s wrong with smiling? What’s wrong with just wanting to look at shoes some days? What’s wrong with wanting to read trashy romantic lit sometimes instead of the 400 page nonfiction book about social injustice?  I’m certainly not implying that we shouldn't be able to vent or talk about our issues with our girlfriends. Lord knows I couldn’t make it without being able to talk through some of my problems with them. But why has it become the only topic of conversation that we seem to have these days?

In one of my favorite Sex and the City episodes, Miranda is trying to show the girls her new Palm Pilot (Do you now feel old realizing how long ago that show came out?) and they are all ignoring her because they are focusing on Carrie’s current problems with Big. Miranda has had enough and finally explodes because she can’t understand why 4 intelligent women have nothing to talk about besides men.
Ladies, it’s time for a change in conversation! So next time you’re out or talking to your girlfriends, forget the talk about your jerk of a boss (or boyfriend). Talk about your latest shoe find. Whip out your favorite new lip-gloss. Laugh at something completely ridiculous with reckless abandon. I know the bills are past due and you’re worried about it (me too), but still…..sometimes, we really should just talk about lipstick.

1 comment: