Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Advice to my Younger Self

Very frequently, I find myself thinking “If I had only known then what I know now.” I've come to learn that hindsight truly is 20/20. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't change much. Every adventure, relationship, experience………they've all made me who I am. I do, however wish I had been a little more sensible about a few things. So here we go……my advice to my younger self….

16 years old: Slow down. Don’t be in such a rush to grow up. In 10 years, when you’re on a cheese sandwich and popcorn diet just to keep the lights on, you’ll realize how highly overrated “being grown” really is.

18 years old: Dear Lynnette, please stop it with the ridiculous eating habits and get into a good exercise routine. Although you are 120 lbs soaking wet right now, I have some news for you, and you’re not going to like it…..your extra fast metabolism ain’t gonna last always. One day, your size 6 dresses will be a distant memory of yesteryear. Your metabolism will move at the speed of molasses just to spite you and your pencil skirts. So enjoy this time while you can, my love. Savor every bite of those ranch dipped Buffalo wings and your tiny waist while you can.

20 years old: Dear Lynnette, you are not enjoying your college years nearly as much as you should! At this point, you've grown weary of campus life and long to be free. I can tell you though…..life on the other side of Baldwin is not as glamorous as it appears. Right now, you hardly have any bills, responsibilities, no job, access to 3 hot meals every day, housing, and a car that is being paid for by your dad. Slow down and stop being in such a rush to move on. Take more pictures, stay up later talking to the girls, and go on that trip to South Africa. Being BPB chairman will be awesome, but you’ll never again have the opportunity to go to South Africa for 3 weeks for under $2000.

21 years old: Dear Lynnette, you have just graduated from college and landed your first job! Awesome! The even better part is you have no bills! Your housing is a part of your salary. Your car and car insurance is still being paid for by the generous heart and pockets of your father. You literally have no bills. While lunchtime shopping at exclusive boutiques and buying $300 suits seems appealing, trust me when I tell you; saving your money would be a much better choice! Bank your money, Lynnette. Put it away for a rainy day because in every life, some rain must and will fall. Those $300 suits are a terrible way to spend your money, especially since you won’t be able to fit any of them by age 25, anyway (see advice to 18 year old).

23 years old: Dear Lynnette, pay more attention to your first mentor at your first job. Although you may not agree with all of her ways, she’s done well professionally for a reason; she knows how to navigate the field. Instead of having immature temper tantrums each time she tries to put you in check about one of your unprofessional habits, try to learn from her.  Be more open in your communication with her.  Realize that contrary to what your 23 year old mind is telling you…..you absolutely do not know everything. You have a lot to learn and you can start with her.

25 years old: Dear Lynnette, stop caring so much about what other people think. Live your life! You can’t please everyone all the time, so stop trying. Figure out what’s best for you, pray about it and keep it moving! Stop entertaining so many opinions from other people. You have only have one life to live. Don’t spend it glued to a phone listening to other people’s opinions about it.

30 years old: Dear Lynnette, stop spending so much time being concerned with “friends” who have suddenly stopped talking to you. And stop being disappointed in “friends” who didn't show up for you. As cliché as it may sound, some friends really are for a season or a reason, and not a lifetime. That doesn't make them any less important to your journey. You’re a good friend and if someone decides to discontinue their friendship with you….that’s their problem and not yours. Stop losing sleep over lost love. Redirect your energy to the ones who have shown their selves to be true.

So comment and tell me……..what would you tell YOUR younger self?



5 comments:

  1. The only advice I'd give myself is to take better care of myself both mentally and physically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would tell my 14-18 year old self to stop going to the cell phone accessory kiosk in the mall and spending $50/week on stuff for phones that we haven't seen in 12 years. In essence, I would tell my younger self to stop spending money from working at age 14 and up and save it all since I was still under my parent's roof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Credit cards are evil. Don't buy a car you can't afford the car note for. Travel, travel, travel before you have kids, if you can. Take college more seriously and choose a major that will land you a decent paying job. Take better care of your body and mind. Invest more in friendships and stop worrying about what people think about you...they are crazy too!!

    ReplyDelete